
I never cease to be amazed by people. Some people seem to touch our lives without even knowing it or meaning to. I try to always look for the best in people, no matter their circumstances. If someone brings a smile to my face, perhaps that is God's way of showing me that happiness can be found in the smallest things.
One glimpse of happiness that I was fortunate enough to share recently came from the most unexpected place. I have a pekingese puppy named Abby who is now 9 months old and goes to work with me part of the time. During my lunch hour I take her for a walk to a nearby city park. I work in Phoenix and unfortunately, there are several homeless people in the area. This park seems to be the place for homeless people to congregate during the day and rest.
There is one homeless couple that I see quite often both at the park or outside of the library that I go to. They are probably in their mid 40's, seem to be clean, and have at least two shopping carts heaped with plastic bags which I'm sure contain all of their worldly possessions.
One day a few weeks ago when I took Abby to the park for a walk, this couple was there. Abby likes to greet everyone she sees and was pulling me along towards this couple. When we got closer to them, I could hear music playing. When I glanced towards them, I saw the most touching site. They had a radio playing and they were waltzing! The rest of the world did not exist for them. They were lost in the music, the dance, each other's eyes! This spectacle of love really touched me, made me smile and contemplate happiness. It was apparent that they were happy; the words live-laugh-love seemed to be made for them at that moment! Even though they do not have a home and they sleep on the streets, they seemed to know happiness better than most people.
Seeing this couple, I realized that happiness can be found in the smallest things and to share this joy with another person is truly a gift to cherish. It proved to me how meaningless possessions and money are to our lives. You can be wealthy and still not find happiness. On the other hand, you can be poor yet happiness is yours! This is a lesson that I need to be reminded of from time to time.
So many people are worried about possessions, and I have been as guilty as anyone. Perhaps that is why I was there at that specific moment in time to share an intimate moment of happiness with people who, in the world's opinion, should not be happy at all.
It made me remember the bible verse, Matthew 6:19-21:
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."






4 comments:
I'm so happy you were able to experience their bliss with them. Seeing events like that in our lives makes us want to know that too!!
This is such a touching story. I loved reading it. We lost our beloved pekingese Molly earlier this year, and I can imagine you must be really enjoying that outgoing personality on yours!
Hi
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. I loved the story.
Hugs, Rhondi
Thank you for sharing this! It's a wonderful reminder to love in this moment, to be thankful for the love we have in our lives, and to not live our lives based on material things. I need to stop and think of this more often, as I find myself doing the same - forgetting what life is really all about! Beautiful story!!
Post a Comment