Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mother Teresa

While reading the book Eat Pray Love, I return to thoughts from Mother Teresa, beatified as the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.  

On Compassion

"We will never know how much just a simple smile will do."

Let us not use bombs and guns to overcome the world.  Let us use love and compassion.  Peace begins with a smile.  Smile five times a day at someone you don't really want to smile at at all.  Do it for peace.  Let us radiate the peace of God and so light His light and extinguish in the world and in the hearts of all men all hatred and love for power.  Smile at one another.  It is not always easy.  

On Silence

"Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has yet to come.  We have only today, let us begin."

In the silence of the heart God speaks.  If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you.  Then you will know that you are nothing.  It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself. -Souls of prayer are souls of great silence.
There is a very holy priest, who is also one of the best theologians in India right now. I know him very well, and I said to him, "Father, you talk all day about God. How close you must be to God!" And you know what he said to me? He said, "I may be talking much ABOUT God, but I may be talking very little TO God." And then he explained, "I may be rattling off so many words and may be saying many good things, but deep down I do not have the time to listen. Because IN THE SILENCE OF THE HEART, GOD SPEAKS." 

On Joy

"Like Jesus, we belong to the whole world, living not for ourselves but for others.  The joy of the Lord is our strength."

A joyful heart is the normal result of a heart burning with Love.  Joy is not simply a matter of temperament, it is always hard to remain joyful--all the more reason why we should try to acquire it and make it grow in our hearts.  Joy is prayer; Joy is strength; Joy is love.  She gives most who gives with joy.

On Generosity

"Every act of Love is a work of peace, no matter how small."

There are many medicines and cures for all kinds of sick people.  But unless kind hands are given in service and generous hearts are given in love, I do not think there can ever be any cure for the terrible sickness of feeling unloved.  It may happen that a mere smile, a short visit, the lighting of a lamp, writing a letter for a blind man, carrying a bucket of charcoal, offering a pair of sandals, reading the newspaper for someone--something small, very small--may, in fact, be our love of God in action.  Listening, when no one else volunteers to listen, is no doubt a very noble thing.  Holiness grows fast where there is kindness.  I have never heard of kind souls going astray.  The world is lost for want of sweetness and kindness.  There are many people who can do big things, but there are very few people who will do the small things.  

No comments: