Following is a little story I wrote to share with the children in my family and life for Three King's Day. I hope you enjoy it and that you have a blessed Dia de los Reyes!
THREE KINGS DAY!One Christmas when I was just a little girl, we lived in a place far, far away from my country home across the ocean on an island named Puerto Rico in a town named Ponce.
This is a story of how I came to learn about the true meaning of the Christmas season.
In Puerto Rico, we lived next door to some great people named Milka and Etienne. They had a little girl who was two years old named Milkita. Her grandma, who everyone called Mama, also lived with them. Mama was a very special lady who only had one leg and was in a wheelchair. Milkita and I used to crawl up in bed beside her and she would tell us wonderful stories.
One Christmas night, Mama told me a very special story. We were outside, Mama in her wheelchair and me standing beside her. She told me the story of the Christmas star. We watched for the star to appear and when it finally did, she pointed it out to me. Have you ever seen the Christmas star? It is the brightest star in the sky on Christmas night. When Jesus was born, it was so very bright that the three kings followed it and the star led them to the baby Jesus.
While Mama and I were gazing up at the star, she gently took my hand. She had a present for me! When I opened the little box, it was a necklace with a medallion of the Virgin Mother with baby Jesus. How did Mama know this was exactly what I wanted for Christmas? It remains a mystery, but I still have this very special treasure.
That same evening, there was a large procession of people in the street. It was like a parade but there was only one float….it was a float with a large cross on it.
All of the people following the cross were carrying lit candles, singing, and praising the Lord. I was given a candle and walked with all of our neighbors and the crowd of worshipers to praise the Holy Son.
The people who lived on the island celebrated Christmas, but their true celebration happened after Christmas on January 6th. This is the day that is known as El Dia de los Reyes or Three Kings Day. It is the day when the Kings named Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar arrived in Bethlehem to find the Messiah and bring him gifts of myrrh, frankincense and gold. Three Kings Day is the day everyone exchanged gifts, not on December 25th. This day is also known as the Epiphany or the celebration of the nativity.
I hope this story helps you to remember the true reason behind this season of joy and gifts and laughter. Remember the Baby Jesus and how the three kings traveled very far with only the Christmas star to guide them and bring our Lord gifts and praise his holy name!






3 comments:
What a beautiful story!!! Thanks so much for sharing that... --teri
I read this on CoW and I loved reading it again!
What a lovely story...I love my childlike memories of christmas, not anything like my adult experieces. It was so majickal then.
Post a Comment