Saturday, December 13, 2008

Red Bird by Mary Oliver

Red bird came all winter
firing up the landscape
as nothing else could.

Of course I love the sparrows,
those dun-colored darlings,
so hungry and so many.

I am a God-fearing feeder of birds.
I know He has many children,
not all of them bold in spirit.

Still, for whatever reason--
perhaps because the winter is so long
and the sky so black-blue,

or perhaps because the heart narrows
as often as it opens--
I am grateful

that red bird comes all winter
firing up the landscape
as nothing else can do.



*Photos are courtesy of friends on Flickr! So many were making comments on these pictures that I didn't want to take credit for them; only can take credit in 'finding' them to post!

9 comments:

Thauna said...

My goodness, those birds are beautiful! I wish we had them in Utah, maybe we do but I've never seen them. I had a family of Blue ScrubJays in the yard at my old house and their visits made me so happy. You are lucky.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

These pics are GORGEOUS! I love cardinals and seeing them in the back yard always brings such a smile to my face! (They visit here year round!) There's a bit of a cardinal theme sprinkled throughout the kitchen now as the patio looks out onto where they usually are.

Roadboy said...

Awesome birds! Despite a love for art and architecture, nature wins the beauty contest every time!

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

A happy, healthy, blessed New Yeat to you & yours!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birds. Have a wonderful New Year!

Rhondi said...

Hi Cindy
What beautiful photos of cardinals. We have lots of them around our bird feeder all day but whenever I try to get a photo htey fly away!
Hope 2009 is a great year for you!
Hugs, Rhondi

teri said...

I love your pictures of these fat little cardinals, Mary. Isn't it amazing how they almost always travel with their partners? If you spot the male, you can almost always find the female nearby, and vice versa.

Robyn said...

What beautiful pictures - such brilliant and clear colors!
Hope your weekend was fun and that an incredible week lies ahead of you!

Lizzi said...

Your pictures are amazing! They are so peaceful.