Preface to Leaves of Grass (excerpt) -- Walt Whitman
Love the earth and sun and the animals,
despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
stand up for the stupid and crazy,
devote your income and labor to others,
hate tyrants, argue not concerning God,
have patience and indulgence toward the people,
take off your hat to nothing known or unknown,
or to any man or number of men,
go freely with powerful uneducated persons,
and with the young, and with the mothers or families,
re-examine all you have been told
in school or church or in any book,
and dismiss whatever insults your own soul;
and your very flesh shall be a great poem....
~ Walt Whitman ~
(from the Preface to Leaves of Grass, 1855 edition)
Life: It Goes On - September 14
1 month ago






7 comments:
I would love to read this cover to cover some day, any addition! (It's on my to read list). Thank you for sharing this.
I love Walt Whitman.
I love Walt Whitman too! never read the entire thing, but when you need inspiration, this is the place to go.
"Re-examine all that you've ever known" - I love that!!!
ah...this is why I'm Dory...
re-examine all you have been told! not known. My short-term memory sucks! :o)
I have this book of poems. I find it a hard to to read, but somehow I'm appreciating your excerpt a lot more than the rest of the book! (??)
Teri, I know exactly what you mean! The book is so hard to follow. When I come across great quotes from it; I have to go back and check...was it really there?
Post a Comment